CJ NYE • 2008 – Present
A vocation—few can expect to succeed in this field, and fewer women, but outside the making, in which I do not compromise or pander, I run it like a business, and my work is respected.
• Returning to the art world a decade after my auto accident, forged connections with journalists, gallerists, and peers, created spreadsheets of portfolio submissions opportunities and media outlets, drafted press releases and submission proposals, resulting in feature and solo shows, group exhibitions and projects, journal portfolios and covers, some critical recognition, sales, and a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.
BETTY TOMPKINS • 2013 – Present
An outstanding established talent, Betty is a ready and generous mentor.
• As-needed general assistance in coordination with artist, gallery, and art handlers.
THE MORGAN LIBRARY & MUSEUM • 2017 – 2018
Enriched my boots-on-the-ground understanding of art museum earned income activities.
• Saw unexploited outreach potential through the shop and, familiar with legal constraints, undertook collections research and floated an idea to tie mission appropriate merchandise to predictable and well marketed popular culture events. It was implemented.
• Used my understanding of the contemporary art world to assist Merchandise Manager in locating scholarly materials for upcoming exhibition of the work of a living artist.
THE HULLABALLOO COLLECTIVE • 2012 – 2013
Fountain Art Fair 2013: 74 artists | Joi de Vivre: 50 artists | Fountain Art Fair 2012: 71 artists
The sole paid member of the collective, creating from scratch the organizational structure for a teeming hive of artists of every temperament and ability through three massive salon shows.
• Created and distributed a start-to-finish production calendars to meet external deadlines; followed up with reminders.
• Responsible for image editing, asset management, press relations, and brand social media presence; collaborative responsibility for website content.
• Forecasting public-facing staffing needs, created sitter schedules, guidelines, price lists, and purchase forms.
• Created templates for printed materials to facilitate collaborative team efforts to make individually contributed artist information accessible to the general public.
Contract Web Editor, Gradschools.com
EDUCATION DYNAMICS • 2010
A startup, Category: Other did not survive, but my entrepreneurial bosslady admired my handling of the Redken account (later brought in-house), and hired me at Gradschools.com.
• Overhauled large swaths of the website for grammatical, visual, and informational consistency to make scholarly information more accessible to the general public.
• Applied my knowledge of copyright law to resource development, employing public domain imagery to improve website content engagement.
• Tracked and reported project status including issues requiring IT troubleshooting.
• Given a roster of projects, effectively managed project to deliver job by deadline.
Marketing Associate, Redken.com & RedkenSalon.com
CATEGORY: OTHER •. 2008 – 2009
Hired for my facility with technology, aesthetic abilities, and writing skills, I was entrusted with a multinational corporate account.
• Created style guides and templates to bring visual and informational consistency to website content.
• Undertook discrete project management to better guide the corporate project manager sourcing primary materials in order to meet project deadlines.
• Compiled digital engagement data in accordance with existing framework.
Hilla Rebay Graduate Intern for Adult Interpretive Programs
THE SOLOMON R. GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM • 2006
5 gallery guides & 25+/- docents
Hand-chosen for my ability to create flexible organizational systems, it was there I got my organizational polish administering program efforts within and across departments.
• Noticed and corrected interdepartmental workflow issue to increase accuracy of public-facing programatic representation and improve visitor experience.
• Established message board, tracked resources, and improved reporting.
• Created training timeline in planning stages of two exhibition cycles.
• In preparation for management turnover, formalized Docent procedures and spearheaded Interim Docent Guidelines outlining: program purpose, overview of enquiry-based teaching, organizational structure, communication, training, and scheduling policies and procedures, peer learning opportunities and tools.
THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART • 2003 – 2005
The grande dame of NYC art museums provided wonderful insights into institutional culture..
• Distinguished myself with customer service; requested for Mezzanine and South Shop.
General Manager > Communications Manager > Desk Manager
THE HIMALAYAN INSTITUTE, NYC • 2003 – 2004
22 instructors, 3 desk personnel, & 50+/- volunteers.
Taking a reception job while I did some soul-searching after my auto accident, my tenure at HINYC proved pivotal. I learned I had nonprofit management skills in spades. I left for Columbia.
• Created press protocols, calendar, and print collateral leading to multiple event and recruitment listings, a feature article, and a visible increase in attendance.
• Streamlined multiple procedures and facilitated expanded programming.
• Redesigned two databases and established student feedback procedures to gain an understanding of audiences to help grow and deepen relationships.
• Created all volunteer management systems including recruitment, skills-classification, training, and scheduling.
Gallery Assistant > Intern
TEN IN ONE GALLERY • 2001 – 2002
I cut my teeth in communications at this small risk-taking gallery in Chelsea fostering such notables as Jessica Jackson Hutchins, David Altmejd, Michelle Grabner, Type A, Kaz, and Daniel Clowes.
• Edited press releases & submitted to appropriate contacts
• Liaison between artists, press, collectors, & director
• Maintained artist files, inventory, mailing lists, & slide archives
Social Media Manager
THE GRACIE MANSION CONSERVANCY • September – present
Pivoting back to my roots in communications with a little volunteerism.
• Social media management including brand update and content creation timed to historic events and current programming
• Research and compilation of historical archive of public domain resources and images
• Asset management including photography, editing, and obtaining usage permissions for copyrighted materials from multiple institutions
• Creation of digital and analogue event collateral in keeping with the style guidelines of the Mayor's Office.
• Partnerships include the Commission for Gender Equity, the New York Public Library, and Penguin Random House
MoMA FILM | Ford Family Programs
THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART • 01/03 – 05/06 & 01/09
Volunteers were the sole representatives of MoMA at Film satellite through MoMA restoration.
• In addressing occasional visitor experience issues, noticed absence of formal feedback mechanism at satellite; discussed with Volunteer Coordinator who had feedback cards made and brought; henceforward routinely reported on status of all printed materials.
• Entrusted with the training of fellow volunteers in membership sales and records maintenance.
• Later answered a former classmate's call to draw on my knowledge of art history and copyright law to assist with MoMA's participation in Wikipedia Loves Art.
HARD AND SOFT SKILLS
• Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Bridge • Hootsuite • Mailchimp • Weebly • Square Space • Dreamweaver • WordPress • Various proprietary CMS • Twitter • Instagram • Facebook • FileMaker Pro • Microsoft Word and Excel • Technological facility • Advanced visual messaging • Finely honed research skills • Strong written and verbal communication skills • Archives and asset management • Strategic planning • Change agility • Organization • Efficiency • Resource management • Time management • Project management • Analysis • Resourcefulness • Creativity
MA Arts Administration
THESIS: Administrative Issues of Visitor Studies in U.S. Art Museums
COURSEWORK: Advertising and Integrated Communications • Measuring Media Audiences • Arts / Culture / Education Marketing • Law and the Arts I [copyright, licensing, trademark] • Law and the Arts II [501(c)(3), contract] • Managerial Negotiations
Graphics Masters Certificate
THE MAC LEARNING CENTER
BA Fine Art
THE SCHOOL OF VISUAL ARTS
COURSEWORK: Studio Art • Art History • Psychology