CJ NYE • 2008 – Present
A vocation, not lucrative—but I run it like a business, and my work is respected.
• Art-making • Drafting and submitting exhibition proposals, grant applications, and press releases • Creation and maintenance of press, exhibitions, and grant submissions spreadsheets • Creation and maintenance of website using Weebly (nee: DreamWeaver) • Designing exhibition collateral and print advertising • Photography of artwork, photo-editing, maintenance of photo archive and inventory spreadsheet • Drafting of sales and consignment agreements
BETTY TOMPKINS • 2013 – Present
An outstanding established talent, Betty is a ready and generous mentor.
• As-needed general assistance in coordination with artist, gallery, and art handlers.
THE HULLABALLOO COLLECTIVE • 2012 – 2013
Fountain Art Fair 2013: 74 artists | Joi de Vivre: 50 artists | Fountain Art Fair 2012: 71 artists
• In charge of press relations and social media presence; collaborative oversight of website • Created and distributed production calendars and templates to ensure cohesion of artist information; followed up with reminders • Forecast public-facing needs and created sitter schedules, guidelines, price lists, and purchase forms
Contract Web Editor, Gradschools.com
EDUCATION DYNAMICS • 2010
My entrepreneurial bosslady admired my handling of the Redken account at Category: Other, and hired me again.
• Overhauled large swaths of the website for grammatical, visual, and informational consistency to make scholarly information more accessible to the general public • Applied my knowledge of copyright law to resource development, employing public domain imagery to improve website content engagement • Tracked and reported project status including issues requiring IT troubleshooting • Given a roster of projects, effectively managed project to deliver job by deadline.
Marketing Associate, Redken.com & RedkenSalon.com
CATEGORY: OTHER •. 2008 – 2009
Entrusted with a multinational corporate account that was later brought in-house.
• Created style guides and templates to bring visual and informational consistency to website content • Undertook discrete project management to better guide the corporate project manager sourcing primary materials in order to meet project deadlines • Compiled digital engagement data in accordance with existing framework
Hilla Rebay Graduate Intern for Adult Interpretive Programs
THE SOLOMON R. GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM • 2006
5 gallery guides & 25+/- docents
Cross-departmental administration of 5 gallery guides and 25 docents.
• Noticed and corrected interdepartmental workflow issue to increase accuracy of public-facing programatic representation and improve visitor experience • Established message board, tracked resources, and improved reporting • Created training timeline in planning stages of two exhibition cycles • In preparation for management turnover, formalized Docent procedures and spearheaded Interim Docent Guidelines outlining: program purpose, overview of enquiry-based teaching, organizational structure, communication, training, and scheduling policies and procedures, peer learning opportunities and tools
General Manager > Communications Manager > Desk Manager
THE HIMALAYAN INSTITUTE, NYC • 2003 – 2004
22 instructors, 3 desk personnel, & 50+/- volunteers.
Soul-searching after my accident I discovered my NPO management skills and left for Columbia.
• Created press protocols, calendar, and print collateral leading to multiple event and recruitment listings, a feature article, and a visible increase in attendance • Streamlined multiple procedures and facilitated expanded programming • Redesigned two databases and established student feedback procedures to gain an understanding of audiences to help grow and deepen relationships • Created all volunteer management systems including recruitment, skills-classification, training, and scheduling
Gallery Assistant > Intern
TEN IN ONE GALLERY • 2001 – 2002
I cut my teeth in communications at this small risk-taking gallery in Chelsea fostering such notables as Jessica Jackson Hutchins, David Altmejd, Michelle Grabner, Type A, Kaz, and Daniel Clowes.
• Submission of press releases and mailing list maintenance • Artist liaison and archivist
Social Media Manager
THE GRACIE MANSION CONSERVANCY • 09/19 – 03/20
Pivoting back to my roots in communications with a little volunteerism.
• Social media calendar management • Brand update • Content creation: research, writing, editing, photography, photo-editing • Asset management: obtaining photos and copyright permissions from multiple lender institutions, creation of historical archives
MoMA FILM | Ford Family Programs
THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART • 01/03 – 05/06 & 01/09
Volunteers were the sole representatives of MoMA at Film satellite through MoMA restoration.
• Visitor Services • Entrusted with the training of fellow volunteers in membership sales and records maintenance.
HARD AND SOFT SKILLS
• Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Bridge • Hootsuite • Mailchimp • Weebly • Square Space • Dreamweaver • WordPress • Various proprietary CMS • Twitter • Instagram • Facebook • FileMaker Pro • Microsoft Word and Excel • Technological facility • Advanced visual messaging • Finely honed research skills • Strong written and verbal communication skills • Archives and asset management • Strategic planning • Change agility • Organization • Efficiency • Resource management • Time management • Project management • Analysis • Resourcefulness • Creativity
MA Arts Administration
THESIS: Administrative Issues of Visitor Studies in U.S. Art Museums
COURSEWORK: Advertising and Integrated Communications • Arts / Culture / Education Marketing • Law and the Arts I [copyright, licensing, trademark] • Law and the Arts II [501(c)(3), contract] • Managerial Negotiations
Graphics Masters Certificate
THE MAC LEARNING CENTER
BA Fine Art
THE SCHOOL OF VISUAL ARTS
COURSEWORK: Studio Art • Art History • Psychology