THE MORGAN LIBRARY & MUSEUM • 09/17 – 02/18
Enriched my boots-on-the-ground understanding of art museum earned income activities.
• Saw unexploited outreach potential through the shop and, familiar with legal constraints, undertook collections research and floated an idea to tie mission appropriate merchandise to predictable and well marketed popular culture events. It was implemented.
• Utilized my knowledge of art history to reorganize the art history genre bookshelves to make scholarly information more accessible to the general public.
• Used my understanding of the contemporary art world to assist Merchandise Manager in locating scholarly materials for upcoming exhibition of the work of a living artist.
THE HULLABALLOO COLLECTIVE • 03/12 – 03/13
Fountain Art Fair 2013: 74 artists | Joi de Vivre: 50 artists | Fountain Art Fair 2012: 71 artists
The sole paid member of the collective, creating from scratch the organizational structure for a teeming hive of artists of every temperament and ability through three massive salon shows.
• In communication with other leadership, created and distributed a start-to-finish production calendars to meet external deadlines; followed up with reminders.
• Created templates for printed materials to facilitate collaborative team efforts to make individually contributed artist information accessible to the general public.
• Responsible for image editing, asset management, press relations, and brand social media presence; collaborative responsibility for website content.
• Forecasting public-facing staffing needs, created sitter schedules, guidelines, price lists, and purchase forms.
Contract Web Editor, Gradschools.com
EDUCATION DYNAMICS • 07/10 – 12/10
A startup, Category: Other did not survive, but my entrepreneurial bosslady admired my handling of the Redken account (later brought in-house), and hired me at Gradschools.com.
• Given a roster of projects, effectively managed time and assets to delilver job by deadline.
• Overhauled large swaths of the website for grammatical, visual, and informational consistency to make scholarly information more accessible to the general public.
• Applied my knowledge of copyright law to resource development, employing public domain imagery to improve website content engagement.
• Tracked and reported project status including back-end issues requiring IT troubleshooting.
Marketing Associate, Redken.com & RedkenSalon.com
CATEGORY: OTHER • 11/08 – 07/09
Hired for my facility with technology, aesthetic abilities, and writing skills, I was entrusted with a multinational corporate account.
• Created style guides and templates to bring visual and informational consistency to website content.
• Undertook discrete project management to better guide the corporate project manager sourcing primary materials in order to meet project deadlines.
• Compiled digital engagement data in accordance with existing framework.
THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART • 01/03 – 05/06 & 01/09
MoMA Film | Ford Family Programs | Art in Sight | Wikipedia Loves Art
Volunteers were the sole representatives of MoMA at Film satellite through MoMA restoration.
• In addressing occasional visitor experience issues, noticed absence of formal feedback mechanism at satellite; discussed with Volunteer Coordinator who had feedback cards made and brought; henceforward routinely reported on status of all printed materials.
• Entrusted with the training of fellow volunteers in membership sales and records maintenance.
• Noticed an oversight at an event that would have caused accounting complications and provided a simple resource management based solution.
• Assisted educators with gallery tours and art workshops.
• Later answered a former classmate's call to draw on my knowledge of art history and copyright law to assist with MoMA's participation in Wikipedia Loves Art.
Hilla Rebay Graduate Intern for Adult Interpretive Programs
THE SOLOMON R. GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM • 05/06 – 08/06
5 gallery guides & 25+/- docents
Hand-chosen for my ability to create flexible organizational systems, it was there I got my organizational polish administering program efforts within and across departments.
• In preparation for management turnover, formalized Docent procedures and spearheaded Interim Docent Guidelines outlining: program purpose, overview of enquiry-based teaching, organizational structure, communication, training, and scheduling policies and procedures, peer learning opportunities and tools.
• Noticed and corrected interdepartmental workflow issue to increase accuracy of public-facing programatic representation and improve visitor experience.
• Created a list of online museum resources along with tips and pointers in line with technological ability to facilitate Docents’ independent research.
• Established message board and created various accountability devices to track resources and help Docents share information about exhibitions and the collection.
• Discovered unmonitored email containing more than 5,000 unread messages spanning two years, audited website noting other potential problem addresses, and apprized supervisor via memo.
• Drew on my knowledge of visitor studies to devise suitable survey tool for Gallery Guides to meet Visitor Services Department need for visitor information.
• Created training timeline in planning stages of two exhibition cycles.
THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART • 10/03 – 08/05
The grande dame of NYC art museums provided wonderful insights into institutional culture. I valued the experience so much, I returned as a volunteer.
• Distinguished myself with customer service and was requested for the MMA's two premier shops, the Mezzanine and South Shop.
General Manager > Communications Manager > Desk Manager
THE HIMALAYAN INSTITUTE, NYC • 09/03 – 05/04
22 instructors, 3 desk personnel, & 50+/- volunteers.
Taking a reception job while I did some soul-searching after my auto accident, my tenure at HINYC proved pivotal. I learned I had nonprofit management skills in spades. I left for Columbia.
• Creation of press protocols, calendar, and print collateral leading to multiple event and recruitment listings, a feature article, and a visible increase in attendance.
• Streamlined multiple procedures and facilitated expanded programming.
• Redesigned two databases and established student feedback procedures to gain an understanding of audiences to help grow and deepen relationships.
• Created all volunteer management systems including recruitment, skills-classification, training, and scheduling.
• Performed routine budget management.
SKILLS / FAMILIARITY
Adobe Photoshop, Bridge, Illustrator, & Dreamweaver • FileMaker Pro • Quantitative & qualitative research design • Sage Analytics • Direct Message Lab • Copper Hub, AdWords • Weebly, Squarespace • WordPress • Proprietary WYSIWYGs • Wikis • Photography • Scanning • Microsoft Word & Excel • APA & Chicago Manual of Style
MA Arts Administration
TEACHERS COLLEGE, COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
THESIS: Administrative Issues of Visitor Studies in U.S. Art Museums
COURSEWORK: Advertising & Integrated Communications • Measuring Media Audiences • Arts / Culture / Education Marketing • Law & the Arts I [copyright, licensing, trademark] • Law & the Arts II [501(c)(3), contract] • Managerial Negotiations
Graphics Masters Certificate
THE MAC LEARNING CENTER
BA Fine Art
THE SCHOOL OF VISUAL ARTS
COURSEWORK: Studio Art • Art History • Art Therapy